Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Doing What I Really Want

It's strange to think I'll actually have spare time after school for the next few months. I finished the awkward discussion with my tennis coach this afternoon, bittersweet but satisfied that I had made the decision to do what I really want. It would be irrational to quit tennis for the sole reason of being bad at it, because that is only one of the reasons. As much as I like to play tennis, competative tennis is not for me. Competatiave anything is not for me. I don't like how I get when I'm competative. Losing matches is fine with me, as long as I know I did my best and played a good game. But I was never gifted with athletic abilities and I seldom play a good game. Therefore, tennis season has been more stressful than relaxing as it should be. I could not let myself continue for another month doing something I don't enjoy, so I did what I had to and got it over with. In the words of Kurt Vonnegut again, "so it goes".

I still cannot let my lazy self get the better of me. I still need to do something. For once, I have the time to do environmental volunteer work, which I've wanted to do for awhile now. I'd be extremely happy to work at the Wehr Nature Center or the Urban Ecology Center, but I should keep other options open as well. I'm also growing enthusiastic about my organic vegetable garden (it sounds hilarious to say that, but those are words of truth). I'm doing some raking for compostable materials--mainly leaves, grass, and table scraps. By Memorial Day, things will be set up quite nicely.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

(here's you comment)

So how did that conversation with Nr. Lesniak go? I can't imagine it would have been that awkward, he just seems....emotionless sometimes.

Speaking of environmentalism, i've been looking at Roots and Shoots (founded by Jane Goodall), and i'll probably become an individual member...they have some interesting campaigns.

Anonymous said...

(Thanks for the comment)

Emotionless conversations are always the most awkward.

The Roots and Shoots sounds interesting. SO it's just individual, self-guided projects, right? That might be something to look into.

Anonymous said...

(no problem :)

Basically they really encourage you to join an existing group or start your own, but I don't have the time/energy to start a group, and the only groups in Wisconsin that a person our age could participate in are about 4 or 5 hours away. There are alot of different things you can do, so I'm still looking into it. Of course, I'm still considering other volunteering options too.